You can have this delicious black bean soup ready in 25 minutes. Served with a salad and bread for an easy, quick dinner. The lime and the cumin really boost the flavor.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 packet Goya seasoning (Sazón Goya with coriander and annatto) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cup olive oil
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1.5 cups beef or chicken broth
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream for serving
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic with the cumin (and sazon Goya, if using) in the olive oil until golden, fragrant, and soft, about 10 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, puree the beans in a blender with chicken broth to desired consitency.
- When the onions are ready, add them to the bean and chicken broth mixture and purée briefly once more.
- Stir in lime juice. Taste for seasoning, and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the bean mixture to the saucepan and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for 5-15 minutes, or until heated through. Simmer slightly longer if you prefer a thicker soup.
- Check seasoning, garnish with sour cream, and serve.
- Serves 4.