- 1 pound bag of fresh or frozen okra, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup manioc meal
- 2 cups fish stock
- 1 pound fresh or frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the okra in boiling water for 3 minutes, and drain immediately. Set aside.
- Stir the manioc meal into 2 cups of fish stock. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sauté the onion and the garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the shrimp and sauté until pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the stock and manioc meal into the pan with the onions and shrimp. Add the okra and stir until heated through. Serve with rice.
Peanut variation: Add 1/4 cup ground roasted peanuts directly to the onions and sauté with the onions and garlic. Stir 1 tablespoon corn starch into 1 cup fish stock and add to the onion mixture. Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens, then stir in the shrimp and okra and heat until warmed through.