Prep Time: 15 hours
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 18 hours
- 1 1/2 pounds small black turtle beans
- 1/2 pound Brazilian dried beef, or beef jerky
- 1 ham hock
- 1 pound pork ribs
- 1 pound smoked chorizo, or other spicy smoked sausage
- 1 pound beef sirloin or smoked pork loin
- 1/2 pound slab smoked bacon
- 1/2 pound smoked pig or beef tongue (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water. In a separate bowl, soak the beef jerky overnight, changing the water 2 or 3 times.
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover with water. Add the ham hock and the dried beef. Simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are cooked but firm. Remove the ham hock and discard.
- Add the rest of the meats and the bay leaf to the beans and simmer for 30 minutes, adding hot water if necessary to maintain an inch of water over the beans.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onions and garlic until soft and golden. Add the parsley, and season with the cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 3/4 cup of the bean mixture to the skillet and mash the beans with the onions. Add the this mixture back to the beans and meat. Simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Remove the meats from the beans and cut them into smaller pieces or thin slices.
- Arrange the meats on a platter, grouped by type. Serve the beans in a separate bowl. Serve with Brazilian-style rice, collard greens, pepper sauce and orange slices.
Serves 8 to 10.