This empanada-like dough makes a sturdy yet tender crust for savory pasteles or tarts.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour and the salt and pulse briefly.
- Cut the butter and shortening into small pieces and add to the bowl. Pulse briefly until butter is in pea-size pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and the egg yolk and pulse until mixture just comes together.
- Remove dough mixture and knead gently on a floured surface until dough is smooth, adding a little flour if dough is sticky, or a little more buttermilk if dough is dry.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes or until ready to roll out.