Nutritious and colorful swiss chard fills this double-crusted savory pie, along with spicy chorizo sausage and cheese.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 2 large bunches of swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chorizo sausages
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces monteray jack cheese, grated
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 recipe pastel tart dough
- 1 egg yolk
- Prepare pastel dough and set aside in refrigerator.
- Wash swiss chard well, and remove stems. (See How to Stem Swiss Chard). Roughly chop the leaves.
- Add vegetable oil to a large heavy-bottomed skillet. Remove casings from sausages, and roughly crumble sausage into the pan.
- Cook sausage over medium heat, using a wooden spoon to break it into even smaller pieces, until browned. Remove sausage from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add chopped onion, celery and garlic to the pan, and cook over medium-low heat until softened and fragrant.
- Add swiss chard (in batches if necessary) and cook until tender and reduced in size, adding the rest of the chard as space becomes available (once it cooks down).
- Remove vegetables from the pan and place in a colander to drain, pressing on chard with wooden spoon to remove any excess liquid. Chop vegetables further if necessary, and add vegetables to bowl with chorizo.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth, and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add milk slowly, whisking well, and continue to heat until sauce thickens and almost boils.
- Remove sauce from heat and add cheeses, stirring well. Add cheese sauce to the bowl with the sausage and chard and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide pastel dough into two pieces, one a little larger than the other. Roll out larger piece into a circle on a floured surface, until big enough to cover the bottom and sides of your tart or pie pan. (Use a 9 or 10 inch pan)
- Line the bottom of the pan with the dough, trim any excess dough from the edges, and then add the filling. Slice the hard boiled eggs into wedges and press wedges of egg into the filling.
- Roll out the other piece of dough into a circle and use it to cover the filling, pinching the edges of the dough together to enclose the filling.
- Brush the dough with the egg yolk, then place pastel in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes, until crust is golden and brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.