Perico is a savory Venezuelan breakfast dish of scrambled eggs seasoned with sautéed onions, tomatoes, and peppers. It's often served inside arepas (a Venezuelan egg mcmuffin of sorts).
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped fine
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine (optional)
- 4-6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk eggs together with cream. Set aside.
- Melt butter with oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Sautéed chopped onions over medium heat until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and peppers and cook over medium heat until soft, 8-10 minutes.
- Pour eggs into skillet and cook gently, stirring them lightly and flipping them as they cook.
- Cook to desired doneness, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with arepas.
Serves 4-6 people.