Chimichurri sauce makes a flavorful dressing for this pretty quinoa
salad with Mediterranean flavors. Red quinoa grains make a nice color contrast with the green chimichurri sauce, but any kind of quinoa will do. This salad is quick to make and the flavors improve overnight. The chimichurri sauce can be prepared a day or two ahead of time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Salad for 4.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3-4 green onions
- 1/2 cup diced feta cheese
- 10 large green or black olives
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes (jarred in oil, drained)
- 1/2 cup chimichurri sauce (see recipe)
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil with the salt.
- Simmer quinoa for 10 minutes, then drain quinoa into a strainer or sieve. Place sieve or strainer basket over boiling water and steam quinoa, covered, for 10-15 minutes longer, until the grains are fluffy and dry. Set quinoa aside in a bowl.
- Chop the red pepper (removing seeds and core) and green onions. Slice the olives into halves or quarters. Dice the sundried tomoatoes. Toss the pepper, green onions, tomatoes, and olives with the quinoa.
- Add the chimichurri sauce (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish if desired) and half of the feta cheese and toss until well mixed. Season salad with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish the salad with the remaining feta cheese and reserved chimichurri sauce just before serving.