Chimichurri sauce makes a flavorful dressing for this pretty red quinoa
salad with Mediterranean flavors. Red quinoa grains make a nice color contrast with the green chimichurri sauce, but any kind of quinoa will do. This salad is quick to make and the flavors improve overnight. The chimichurri sauce can be made a day or two ahead.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Salad for 4.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3-4 green onions
- 1/3 cup diced feta cheese or queso fresco
- 10 large green olives
- 1/2 cup chimichurri sauce (see recipe)
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil with the salt.
- Simmer quinoa for 10 minutes, then drain quinoa into a strainer or sieve. Place sieve or strainer basket over boiling water and steam quinoa, covered, for 10-15 minutes longer, until the grains are fluffy and dry. Set aside in a bowl.
- Chop the red pepper (removing seeds and core) and green onions. Slice the olives into halves or quarters. Toss the pepper, green onions, and olives with the quinoa.
- Add the chimichurri sauce (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish if desired) and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top salad with feta cheese and reserved chimichurri and serve.