This grilled chicken salad comes together quickly and makes a great summer meal. While the chicken is grilling, prepare the salad of lettuce, red pepper, avocado, green onions and pineapple and toss it with the creamy coconut lime dressing. Slice the chicken into strips and serve atop the salad, with toasted coconut and extra dressing on the side.If you have time to brine the chicken breasts overnight and marinate them the following day, the chicken will be that much more juicy and flavorful. This grilled chicken is also be delicious with coconut rice and grilled pineapple.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 6 limes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
- 6 green onions
- 1/4 cup cream of coconut
- 3-4 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1 small green chile pepper, such as a jalepeno
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken breasts in a bowl, cover with salt water, and chill overnight (optional).
- Rinse chicken, then place in a nonreactive container. Whisk together the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and juice of 3 limes, and pour mixture over the chicken. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on hot grill. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until well done on one side, then flip and continue to cook. Test chicken for doneness frequently, and remove from heat as soon as chicken is cooked through (about 20-25 minutes). Set chicken on a platter to cool.
- Prepare salad dressing: Whisk the juice from remaining 3 limes into the yogurt. Whisk in the cream of coconut. Finely mince 2 scallions (white and green parts) and the chile pepper and add to the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Prepare the salad: Wash and dry lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces, and place lettuce in a large bowl. Chop the avocado and sprinkle it with a bit of lime juice and salt. Chop the bell pepper. Coarsely chop the remaining scallions. Add the avocado, bell pepper, pineapple, and scallions to the lettuce. Add half of the coconut dressing and toss.
- Spread the coconut out on a baking sheet and toast in a 300 degree oven until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place the salad on a platter. Slice the grilled chicken breasts on the diagonal and place on top of the salad. Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the salad. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.