Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 pounds collard greens (2 to 3 large bunches)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash collard greens. Gather bunches of the leaves together and roll them up into a bundle. Thinly slice the bundles crosswise, an easy way to cut the leaves into thin strips.
- Finely chop the garlic. (or to be really traditional, mash the garlic with the kosher salt with a mortar and pestle).
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet (cast iron works well) over medium heat. Add garlic and salt, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is just golden and fragrant.
- Add the greens and sauté 3 or 4 minutes until they are bright green in color and starting to soften.
- Season greens with more salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm.
Optional: Chop 2-3 slices of bacon and sauté with the garlic for an extra treat.