Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 as a side dish.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1/2 -3/4 cups cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the bacon slices over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Drain skillet until only about a tablespoon of bacon grease remains. Add sliced onions and cumin to the skillet, and sauté over low heat until onions brown and get very soft, about 15 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, bring 2 cups of water to boil with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the lima beans and cook until tender (10-15 minutes for fresh beans, or follow package directions for frozen beans). Drain beans.
- When onions are soft, browned, and fragrant, add 1 tablespoon flour to the onions and stir.
- Add beans to onions, along with 1/2 cup cream. Stir over medium=low heat until sauce thickens, adding more cream if necessary.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm.
Serves 4 as a side dish.