Surinamese cuisine has many Indonesian-style dishes, like this delicious salad of crisp cabbage, bean sprouts, and green beans, tossed with a spicy-sweet coconut dressing. Goedangan is a great warm weather salad - it tastes cool and refreshing, even with the spiciness of the coconut sambal dressing. It's typically served with hard boiled eggs, and you can add other vegetables such as cucumber or spinach, to make a main course salad.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 8 ounces thin green beans (like French green beans)
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 small green chili pepper, like a jalepeño, very finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the coconut cream and yogurt. Stir in the minced green chile (to desired spiciness), sugar, coriander, lime juice, and salt. Chill until ready to serve.
- Slice the cabbage into thin strips.
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the cabbage and the bean sprouts to the boiling water and cook very briefly, for about 2 minutes.
- Drain cabbage and dump into ice water.
- Bring another pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain green beans and add to the bowl of ice water.
- Drain cooked vegetables into a colander.
- Arrange vegetables on a platter with slices of hard boiled egg and cucumber slices. Drizzle with coconut dressing, and serve extra dressing on the side.
Serves 4 as a main course.