This Colombian aji salsa can be as hot or as mild as you choose. The main ingredients are tomatoes, green onions, and chile peppers and the flavor is similar to hogao, another Colombian salsa that is cooked. This uncooked salsa has vinegar as well, and it's delicious with grilled meats. It;s also a great dipping sauce for the Colombian corncakes called arepas or fried plantains.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 habanero chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
- 6 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Place the pepper in a food processor or blender with the water, vinegar, and lime juice, salt and sugar and process until smooth.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, green onions and cilantro to a bowl, and toss the pepper liquid with them, along with the olive oil.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt/sugar/black pepper as needed.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.