Bright green asparagus is adorned with a red pepper and onion salsa, and topped with crumbled queso fresco. The colorful presentation is perfect for a holiday meal, but the fresh flavors are great anytime.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Trim any woody stems from the bottom of the asparagus.
- Cook asparagus for about 10 minutes, or until just crisp tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the asparagus are cooking, heat the olive oil in a small sauté pan. Cook the shallots for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the red pepper and cook until both are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the asparagus in a small baking pan or casserole. Spoon the red pepper salsa on top. Sprinkle the queso fresco cheese over the red pepper salsa. Drizzle the lime juice and the balsamic vinegar over the the asparagus.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese softens and the asparagus is heated through.
- Serve warm.