Coconut rice is a fragrant sweet-savory rice that pairs especially well with seafood. This method of preparing coconut rice comes from Colombia, and involves cooking the coconut milk until it separates and the coconut solids caramelize. The resulting toasted coconut flavor is then cooked into the rice, along with the delicious crispy bits of browned coconut. Raisins add a touch of sweetness, but this is definitely a savory rice. It's delicious served with chicken in creamy coconut sauce.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings.
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups rice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- Place coconut milk in a heavy pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer coconut milk until the liquid has evaporated and the coconut solids separate from the oil. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until coconut solids are dark golden brown.
- Stir in the rice and raisins. Stir in the water, salt and sugar.
- Bring water to a boil, then lower heat and simmer rice, covered, for about 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice remain on the stove for another 5-10 minutes, covered.
- Fluff rice and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings.