My Venezuelan friend Karin Flynn kindly shared with me her family's delicious version of guasacaca. Guasacaca is Venezuela's version of guacamole, and it is typically served as a condiment for grilled meats. This guasacaca recipe has a chunky texture that's perfect for chips (see recipe for creamy-style guasacaca here).
Chopped avocado, green pepper, garlic, and tomato are the star ingredients, and vinegar keeps the avocado green instead of the more typical lime juice. Spice it up a little with tobasco sauce for those who like it hot.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3-4 large ripe avocados
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tobasco or hot pepper sauce to taste
- Mash one of the avocados. Chop the other avocados and mix them with the mashed avocado in a bowl. Stir in the vinegar and olive oil.
- Finely chop the red and green peppers, tomato, and the onion and add to the avocado.
- Mince the garlic and add to the mixture.
- Season the guasacaca with salt, pepper, and tobasco sauce to taste.
Makes approximately 2 cups.