This chicken and strawberry salad is full of healthy ingredients like spinach, mangoes, and ginger, and makes a great summer lunch or supper. The dressing can be made ahead of time, and you can use frozen chicken strips for convenience (or make your own). Jicama is a root vegetable that tastes a little bit like apple and adds great crunch to any salad. For an extra touch, sprinkle salad with chopped candied pecans.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4-6 crispy chicken strips (ready to eat)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 mango, just barely ripe
- 1/2 of a jicama root
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the strawberries in the blender or food processor with the juice from the lime. Process until smooth.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, ginger, honey, sugar, and salt and process until smooth. Add the olive oil and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Chop jicama and mango into matchstick pieces. Cut red onion into very thin strips, or finely dice. Cut the remaining strawberries into slices.
- Arrange spinach leaves on plate(s). Top with jicama, mango, and red onion. Cut chicken into thin strips and place on top of salad. Drizzle salad with strawberry dressing and garnish with fresh strawberries.
Serves two as a main course.