These sweet corn pancakes are my idea of a perfect breakfast. Cachapas are made with simple ingredients - fresh corn, a bit of butter, cream and salt. The resulting pancakes are soft and flexible, and can be easily folded over a filling. Stuff them with mozzarella or cream cheese, or just serve them with butter.North American corn is sweeter and less starchy than typical South American corn, so a little cornstarch helps to thicken the batter.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: About 8 pancakes.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Butter and/or cream cheese for serving
- Place the corn, cream, salt, and melted butter in a food processor or blender, and process until you have a fairly smooth, thick batter.
- Heat lightly oiled skillet over medium-low heat. Add about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter to skillet, and spread batter with a spatula to make a circle.
- Cook pancake until it is starting to bubble, and you can place the spatula easily underneath it to flip it. Flip and cook the other side. Don't cook these pancakes on too high of a temperature or the outside will burn before they cook sufficiently on the inside.
- Spread pancakes with butter and/or cream cheese, or top with grated queso fresco cheese. Fold pancakes in half and serve.