These empanadas must have been inspired by a British pastry, as they are filled with a hearty mixture of sausage and potatoes. They have plenty of South American flavor, however, from the spicy chorizo sausage and cumin-seasoned onions and potatoes. The filling is easy to make, and can be prepared a day ahead, along with the empanada dough.
- 4-6 chorizo sausages
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2-1 cup chicken or beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 recipe empanada dough
- 1 egg yolk
- Prepare empanada dough according to recipe. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let dough rest at room temperature for an hour, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place the sausages in a skillet and cover them halfway with water. Cook the sausages until the water is evaporated, then continue to cook until all sides are browned.
- Remove sausages from the skillet and chop/crumble. Set aside.