- 2 cups pulled pork bbq, purchased or homemade
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup aji amarillo sauce
- 1 recipe empanada dough
- 1 egg yolk
- Prepare the empanada dough and let it rest for 1 hour, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Mix the bbq, aji sauce and grated cheese together in a bowl.
- Divide the empanada dough into 18 pieces, and roll each one into a ball. Roll each ball of dough out into a 6-7 inch diameter circle, and let dough circles rest on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the middle of a circle of dough, and fold dough over to make a half circle. Press the edges of the dough together firmly around the filling.
- Brush the pressed edge of the semicircle with a little bit of water, and fold the edge over itself, pinching and crimping as you go to make a braid-like effect.
- Place empanadas on a baking sheet.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water and brush mixture over entire surface of each empanada.
- Bake empanadas until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: You can also make small, appetizer-size empanadas, by rolling dough into smaller circles.