Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2-1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a deep fryer or skillet, heat several inches of vegetable oil to 360 degrees (F).
- In a small bowl, stir the cinnamon into the 1/2 cup sugar and set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt and 3 tablespoons sugar in a bowl.
- Stir in the eggs and 1/2 cup buttermilk with a wooden spoon. Add more buttermilk, slowly, until mixture has the consistency of a very thick cake batter.
- Stir in the baking powder.
- Using 2 teaspoons (or a small cookie scoop), scoop a generous teaspoon of batter and carefully drop it into the oil, using the second spoon to help scrape the dough off of the first one. Repeat with several more teaspoons, but do not overcrowd the doughnuts or they will stick together.
- Cook the doughnuts, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon, and drain briefly on paper towels.
- Roll the doughnuts in the cinnamon sugar while still hot.
- Cook the rest of the doughnuts in batches.
- Doughnuts are best served warm, and can be reheated or kept warm in the oven.
Makes about 25 small round doughnuts.