The chivito is the national sandwich of Uruguay. It's importance in Uruguay is on a par with the cheesesteak in Philadelphia.
The chivito (whose name translates to "little goat") is a serious sandwich filled with meat. The star ingredient is a slice of churrasco (grilled, thin sliced beef), which is topped with slices of ham, bacon, lettuce and tomato, melted mozzarella cheese, and a fried egg. Optional toppings include cooked onions, olives, peppers, and pickles. Salsa golf, a mixture of ketchep and mayonnaise that is popular in Argentina and Uruguay, is the perfect condiment for this sandwich.
Prep Time: 20áminutes
Cook Time: 10áminutes
Total Time: 30áminutes
- 4 very large sandwich buns (large ciabatta rolls are good)
- 2 beef filet steaks, or 4 thin slices of grilled steak
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 4 slices of deli ham
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon slices until crispy. Set aside on paper towels to cool.
- If using the filet steaks, drain the excess bacon fat out of the skillet. Slice each filet in halve crosswise, to make 2 thin steaks (4 total). Sprinkle with coarse salt, and use a mallet to pound the steaks even thinner.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat until hot, and place steaks on the skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. Remove to paper towels to cool.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Melt the butter in over medium heat, and fry eggs sunnyside up until desired doneness.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Assemble sandwiches: Spread inside of buns with ketchup and mayonnaise. Place lettuce slices over bottom half of buns. Top with a slice of beef, 2 bacon slices, a slice of ham, a slice of tomato, and a slice of mozzarella.
- Place sandwiches (uncovered) under the broiler briefly (keeping a close eye on them) to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and add the fried egg over the cheese, then top with the other half of the bun. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 large sandwiches.