Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup chocolate dulce de leche (see Related Recipes box)
- Toasted coconut or finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place chocolate into a bowl, and place the bowl over a pot of just simmering water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Remove pot from heat, and stir the chocolate occasionally until it's melted. Let cool slightly.
- Place the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Add the butter to the flour mixture, and blend with the paddle attachment until just mixed.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the melted chocolate until smooth and blended.
- Let cookie dough rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to 3/8" thickness, and cut into 2 inch circles.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 15 minutes, until they are just barely beginning to brown at the edges. Let cookies cook on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- To fill the cookies, spread one cookie with chocolate dulce de leche and top with second cookie. Roll the edges in toasted coconut or nuts if desired.
- Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar just before serving.
- Store in airtight container.