Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 25 minutes
Yield: 16 empanadas
- 1 recipe empanada dough
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced (optional)
- 4 chorizo sausages
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- Prepare empanada dough and chill.
- Remove casings from sausages and roughly chop. Sauté sausages in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until nicely browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and chopped onion to the skillet with the cumin and chili powder. Cook onion, stirring often, until soft. Add tomato and 1 tablespoon sugar and cook a few minutes longer.
- Mix onions mixture and sausage together in a bowl. Stir in grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill mixture for about an hour (or overnight) if possible.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out and cut empanada dough into 6-7 inch circles (see "How to Shape Empanadas").
- Place about 2-3 tablespoons filling in the center of each empanada, then close circle of dough over to enclose the filling. Seal and crimp the edges.
- Place the empnadas on a baking sheet. Whisk the egg yolk with a teaspoon of water and brush tops and sides of the empanadas with the egg yolk mixure.
- Bake empanadas for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and puffed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes about 16 empanadas.