Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 package frozen puff pastry dough
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (smoked gouda, edam, or similar)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 pound deli ham
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Whisk flour into butter, and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk milk into flour/butter mixture and bring to boil, stirring. Sauce will thicken slightly.
- Whisk 2 eggs into mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 -2 minutes more or until sauce has thickened.
- Add grated cheese and parmesan and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry dough on a floured surface to 12 inches square. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into 12 3 x 4 inch rectangles.
- Mix egg yolk with water, and brush the edges of half of the rectangles with the egg yolk mixture.
- Place a piece of ham in the center of the rectangles brushed with egg yolk. There should be an edge of dough all around the ham. Top ham with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture.
- Cover the ham and cheese with one of the plain rectangles, and firmly press down around the edges to seal.
- Repeat with other sheet of puff pastry. Pastries may be frozen at this point, or kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours before baking.
- Prick the top of the empanadas several times with a fork, and brush tops lightly with the egg yolk mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 12 empanadas.