The triple sandwich (el "treep-lay") is an institution in Peru. Delicious fresh avocados are plentiful there, and this sandwich has an extra layer of bread and mayonnaise to showcase them. There's a layer of chicken or egg salad (or sometimes both), and a layer of sliced tomatoes rounds things off. Try your own combinations.
Triples are always prepared with plain white sandwich bread, and are sometimes cut into finger food size portions.
- 16 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- 2/3 cup chicken or egg salad (see links to recipes below)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the avocados and sprinkle with lime juice. Sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Trim crusts from bread.
- For each sandwich, start with a slice of bread spread with mayonnaise. Layer avocado slices on top of bread.
- Spread both sides of another slice of bread with mayonnaise and place on top of the avocado.
- Spread the chicken salad or egg salad (hardboiled eggs mashed with mayonnaise, salt & pepper) on top of the bread, and then layer the tomato slices on top of the chicken salad.
- Top with another sliced of bread, spread with mayonnaise.
- Slice sandwiches into triangles and serve.
Makes 4 sandwiches.